Job opportunity as Principal/Senior Engineer at EBRD
- Ref 60001744-1
- Country United Kingdom
- City London
- Department Banking
- Business Unit Energy Business Group, PEU
- Closing date for applications 12 February 2015
The Principal/Senior Engineer is responsible for the technical aspects of preparation and signing of banking loans and implementation of the investment programmes in the Power and Energy sector. In addition, the Principal/Senior Engineer will assist in assessing implementation risks, addressing transition impact, procurement and credit risks from an engineering point of view. The Senior Engineer would have more experience and be involved in the more complex projects than a Principal Engineer.
- The PEU team is responsible for the Bank’s financing, policy dialogue and monitoring activities in the electricity generation (conventional and renewable), distribution and transmission and gas distribution sectors.
- Currently the PEU’s portfolio totals EUR 5.7 billion (corresponding to total operating assets of EUR 3.4 billion) comprising 141 projects across various subsectors: conventional generation, large and small hydros, renewables, transmission and distribution of electricity and distribution of natural gas.
- The Principal/Senior Engineer will assist the Power and Energy Utilities (PEU) team to originate and develop its pipeline of operations in the Power and Energy sector.
- For each project, the Principal/Senior Engineer will report to the Operation Leader (OL) in charge of the project and work with and support the OL to prepare, appraise and monitor new and existing transactions.
- The Principal/Senior Engineer will work in developing private and public sector projects as well as in supporting public sector strategy in any EBRD country of operation.
- The Principal/Senior Engineer will assist in selection and appointment of outside technical consultants (sign-off on TORs), manage the assignments of outside technical consultants and prepare appraisals at the end of each assignment
- The Principal/Senior Engineer will liaise with E2C2 and Environmental Department teams to promote EBRD’s strategy with regards to sustainable energy and its Environmental and Social Policy.
- As part of project approval process, the Principal/Senior Engineer will participate in the drafting of technical sections of internal memos and attend clarification meetings with Bank’s departments such as OCE, Credit, ESD, Procurement, Insurance and Legal or at Bank Committees and Board.
- The Principal/Senior Engineer may meet with local Authorities, Sponsors and investors management to help the OL in smooth development and implementation of the project.
- Carry out or supervise technical due diligence in order to appraise technical and commercial viability of projects.
- Screen initial project proposals to help inform OL and Team Director on whether Bank resources should be committed to develop specific projects.
- Review financial models to ensure adequacy of technical/engineering assumptions.
- Prepare project related documentation including internal Bank documents, review Loan Agreements and provide technical input in the covenants.
- Maintain benchmarks of different technologies to ensure Team has state-of-the-art sector expertise.
- Carry out or supervise project monitoring in order to support loan disbursement process.
- Recommend and mobilise resources for technical preparation of projects to enable professional, cost-effective and timely execution of the selected activities.
- Support the Team and ROs with relevant sector related marketing activities to identify and scope new operations in the sector.
- Provide on the job support/coaching to team colleagues in technical aspects of project screening, scoping, due diligence and monitoring to increase sector related skills and understandings.
- Advise and assist Team procurement specialist on technical aspects of the projects to facilitate project implementation; advise Chief Economists on rationale and transition impact aspects; and interact with E2C2 in energy efficiency aspects of the projects.
- Qualification in engineering; additional relevant finance, economics or business degree would be beneficial.
- Proven track record in the field of Power Engineering from relevant infrastructure utility company or corporate/project finance group, an IFI, consultancy firm or organisation of similar expertise.
- Experience of carrying out technical due diligence and in the monitoring of projects in the electricity generation (conventional and renewable), distribution and transmission and gas distribution sectors.
- Sound understanding of banking/business principles.
- Strong analytical and technical skills with the ability to interpret technical information and able to analyse and assess project viability.
- The Senior Engineer will have greater experience than the Principal and would be involved in the more complex projects.
- Very good verbal and written communication skills in English.
- Good report writing skills.
- Experience in and language skills from one of the Bank’s countries of operation is desirable